Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 30

My father commented in my last entry that I need to stop weighing myself every day, because I'll drive myself crazy. He was not wrong. Today will be my last non-Friday weigh in. After coming in at 387 on Monday, I came in at 388 today.

Now, I know that's horseshit. I know what I ate yesterday, and there wasn't anything bad. For dinner I had a pair of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Nobody gains weight eating like that. But I'm hopping on the scale every morning, and as Christine pointed out, that's great fun at the beginning. We've reached the point in the diet, though, where I need to weigh myself each week and just trust that I'm doing the right things.

I do need to incorporate exercise, I know that. I've got to start up on that soon, but for now, I figure that if I keep eating the same (low) amount of calories and getting all the protein and vitamins I need, I'll be fine.

Today I had:

Breakfast:
Two Chobani 6oz Yogurts, Blood Orange and Peach

Lunch:
Salad w/ chicken, black beans, cheese, and salsa for dressing
- Moe's catered lunch for us for a corporate meeting today, so I ended up raiding the fixins bar to make myself a bootleg salad.

Afternoon Snack:
EAS Myoplex Lite Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bar

Afternoon Shake:
Banana Creme Pure Protein Shake

I stopped at Trader Joe's to buy some more shakes after work today. I can order them from Amazon, but they're literally the same price. Only reason to do that would be if I wanted more Banana Creme, as TJ's only carries Chocolate and Vanilla. But Chocolate is my fave, so I'm not worried.

Dinner:
Maple-Pecan Chicken Tenders
- Christine made these from a recipe that I found in a healthy-food cookbook. She kept apologizing because she thought they were dry, but they reminded me of chicken fingers or coconut chicken, because they were a little crunchy and a little sweet. I was a big fan, and there are leftovers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to weigh yourself less often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here are some more data points from Marc, my trainer. First, the reason you don't weight every day is that is focusing on pennies and nickels when you are trying to earn dollars. An apt analogy (or metaphor or kilogram or even erg).

    Secondly, when Weight Watchers says that loosing two pounds a week is too fast that depends on where you start. Obviously if one starts at a high number there will be a sharper weight loss at the beginning. But that is normal for we with more developed figures. And there will be plateaus. We are undoubtedly headed for quite a few as we process. We can't let an inanimate object determine our moods and affect our progress.

    Maybe on such a long journey, the mileposts should be at 5 pounds not a single pound. That eases the short term pressures and still leaves lots of opportunities to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's more complex than that for me, even. I'd be totally content to count each penny and nickel and watch them slowly add up to dollars. My trouble is that my weight loss is more like the stock market lately: up, down, up, down, up, down. So what I need to do is maintain that 'good economy' of chicken breasts and quinoa, and trust that I will be significantly 'up' in the balance.

    I've plateaued for now, and it's certainly frustrating, but I know I'll break out of it.

    ReplyDelete